Lions Recycle for Sight
In just about any drawer you can find a pair of spectacles that are no longer being used. Don’t throw them away! By donating that same old and unused pair of spectacles you can change another person’s life in the developing world. The Lions Club of Bournemouth, along with other Lions clubs throughout the U.K are asking for spectacles. Lions accept prescription and reading glasses, sunglasses and plastic and metal frames. Children’s glasses are especially needed. Over the last nine years, Lions Clubs members have sent nearly 48 million pairs of used spectacles to the developing world. While 48 million of pairs of spectacles is impressive, many more millions of pairs of spectacles lie forgotten. The need is great!
What happens to each pair of donated spectacles?
- All the donated spectacles are sorted and separated by type.
- Each pair of spectacles is cleaned and repaired.
- The prescription of the lens is determined.
- The recycled spectacles are boxed and then past on to the mission team.
- The mission team deliver them to people in need in developing countries.
- Following an eye screening the spectacles free-of-charge are distributed to children and adults with impaired vision.
What difference Lions Recycle for Sight can make?
- A simple thing like a pair of spectacles, which we take for granted, can turn a dependent person into a productive citizen, less dependent upon aid.
- It will allow children the chance of a better education, healthier development and a better quality of life. One in four children can’t see well enough to read without glasses.
- For adults, it means greater employment opportunity and economic strength. By age 40, 90% of all adults will need glasses.
- The lives of nearly 500 million people around the world would be improved with a simple pair of corrective glasses.
These startling statistics from the World Health Organization demonstrate why Lions need to continue their efforts to collect and recycle pairs of spectacles.
Where can I donate my spectacles? We also collect used hearing aids.
|KELLY’S||369 Wimborne Road, Winton|
|SCRIVENS||373 Wimborne Road, Winton and
89, Poole Road, Westbourne
|THE LACEY EYE CENTRE
|39 Seamoor Road, Westbourne|
|LIFE CENTRE||Wimborne Road, Moordown|
|BOURNEMOUTH BLIND SOCIETY||5, Victoria Park Road, BH9 2RB|
|KC OPTICIANS||1553 – Wimborne Road, Kinson
Bournemouth BH10 7AZ
|KINSON COMMUNITY CENTRE||Pelhams Park, Kinson|
|JAMES FISCHER MEDICAL
|30, Vanguard Road
Donating spectacles is easy. You can use the contact us page or call 0845-8332823 if you have a pair of spectacles to donate. Thank you, many people will be grateful for your kindness.